Please wipe down all equipment and surfaces after use. Cleaning supplies are available at the Main Desk. Be careful of liquid cleaners around electrical equipment including computers and printers.
Instructions and assistance are provided on request for all equipment. Please ask at the Main Desk.
Printing, Scanning, and Photocopying at Dana
- The Pharos Print Center allows you to print from any device by simply uploading documents.
- Scan black and white or color documents to your email, free of charge.
- Costs for printing and photocopying:
- CAT$cratch on UVM ID or Guest Copy Card purchased from our vending machine: 5¢ per side for black and white, 25¢ for color.
- Cash: 10¢ per side for black and white, 25¢ for color.
- Guest Copy cards may be purchased from a vending machine at the back of the library. Guest Copy Cards cost $1.00 with a CAT$cratch value of $1.00 preloaded on each card. You may add to the balance of the card using the same vending machine.
Computers and Software
Dana has six public PCs (sorry, no Macs): two at the front of the library and four in the back. The two in the back are accessible during After Hours Study.
You do not need to log in to use the computers.
Save your work to a USB flash drive or e-mail it to yourself. The PCs are cleaned off automatically every time they restart, and documents saved to the desktop will be deleted. For your privacy, we recommend restarting the PC when you are done with it. This will clear out the browser history and clean up anything else you left behind.
- Microsoft Office 2019: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access
- web browsers: Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and Mozilla Firefox
- Endnote (see Tutorials & Tips)
- StataSE statistical software
- Microsoft Teams
- AppsAnywhere client to allow access to a wide range of additional software for anyone with a UVM netID at https://software.uvm.edu/.
- One of the public PCs has an attached flatbed scanner, with associated software.
- Headphones are required for any use involving sound and are available at the Main Desk for use in Dana. Please be aware of your surroundings and keep the volume down: sound can leak from headphones and earbuds.
- A DVD player is available for check-out at the Main Desk.
- A flatbed scanner is connected to one of the public PCs for scanning graphics and text. Adapters are available at the Main Desk for scanning negatives and slides.
Bring Your Own Device
Your own laptop or mobile device can be connected to the network using Wireless or Ethernet network.
Wireless Internet access
- If you have a UVM netID:
- Your wireless-capable device should detect a network called "UVM". Joining it will require a few minutes' setup, but you only need to do that once per device. After that, your laptop or handheld should automatically sign onto "UVM" when selected. See instructions at https://www.uvm.edu/ets/wireless/
- For all other users:
- Your wireless-capable device should detect a network called "UVM Guest". You will need to be able to receive an SMS text (not necessarily on the device you wish to connect). See connection instructions at https://kb.helpline.w3.uvm.edu/article/uvm-guest; most users will need to follow the "Other guests" or "Self-sponsored UVM Guest account" instructions.
- Note: using the UVM Guest network will not give you access to the library's subscribed databases and resources. You will be better off using a wired connection (see below).
Wired Network jacks
- An Ethernet cable may be checked out at the Main Desk for use in Dana. A USB-to-Ethernet adapter is also available if you have a USB port (not USB-C) but not an Ethernet port.
- Network jacks are available at most tables and seating.
Other Specialized Equipment
- CCTV Magnifier for impaired vision.