The National Library of Medicine is changing how people log into National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) accounts. This change will take effect on June 1, 2021.
Which Accounts Does This Apply To?
This change applies to any NCBI tool. For example, if you have saved searches or run alerts in PubMed, you will need to use the new login system. Other tools include SciENcv and other NCBI databases.
Who Will Be Affected?
The change applies to anyone who is currently signing in directly to NCBI accounts with an NCBI username and password.
What Happens on June 1st?
After June 1st, all users will need to log in using a third-party system. Options include things such as using institutional (UVM) credentials, eRA Commons, Google or ORCID.
How Do I Link a Third-Party Login to My NCBI Account?
- Sign into your NCBI account with your existing username and password.
- Click on the username in the top right of the page.
- Click Change in the “linked account” portlet.
- Find the third-party account(s) you want to apply using the search bar.
- From here, users can link to the third-party’s sign in page.
How Can I Learn More About This Change?